Like potato salad or coleslaw, macaroni salad makes the perfect side dish at any summer barbecue or picnic! It’s cool, light, and refreshing – plus, it’s often a hit with even the pickiest of eaters. Similar to many popular American dishes, there are multiple regional takes, and it can take some searching to find your favorite, but the recipe below is certainly a great start! Made with creamy mayo, flavorful diced veggies, and an assortment of spices, it pairs perfectly with barbecued ribs slathered in your BBQ sauce of choice or perfectly crisp buttermilk fried chicken. Try it at your next socially distant outdoor gathering, and we can guarantee that you will not regret it! Check out the recipe below:
• 1 cup mayonnaise, plus one tablespoon
• ¼ cup white vinegar
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon white sugar, or more to taste
• 1 cup finely diced celery
• ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
• ½ cup grated carrot
• ½ cup chopped green onions, white and light parts
• ¼ cup diced jalapeno pepper
• ¼ cup diced poblano pepper
• 1 (16-ounce) package uncooked elbow macaroni
• 1 tablespoon water
1. Whisk 1 cup mayonnaise, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until well blended. Add in sugar, then stir in celery, red bell pepper, carrot, onions, and jalapeno and poblano peppers. Refrigerate until macaroni is ready to dress.
2. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain but do not rinse. Allow macaroni to drain in a colander for about 5 minutes, shaking out moisture from time to time. Pour macaroni into a large bowl and toss to separate and cool to room temperature.
3. Pour dressing over macaroni and stir until dressing is evenly distributed. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or, ideally, overnight to allow the dressing to absorb into the macaroni.
4. Stir salad before serving. Mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon water into the salad.
Cook up something delicious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Windward Place Apartments in Alpharetta, Georgia, and put our expansive kitchens to good use!