Originating from various European cuisines, including German, Belarusian, and Hungarian, potato pancakes have found popularity as a side dish and appetizer in the United States on many dinner tables. This dish itself is pretty self-explanatory: potato pancakes are shallow-fried pancakes of grated or ground potato, matzo meal or flour, and a binding ingredient, such as egg or applesauce. Often flavored with garlic or onion, they are often topped with sour cream, salmon or salmon roe, or even served plain. To learn how to make this delectable dish that is perfect for any choosy palate, take a look at the ingredients and directions provided below:
• 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded on a box grater
• 1 medium onion, coarsely shredded on a box grater
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
• 1/4 cup matzo meal
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• Vegetable oil, for frying
• Applesauce, sour cream, smoked salmon, and salmon roe, for serving
1. In a colander set over a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the onion and squeeze dry. Let the potatoes and onion drain for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour off the liquid in the bowl, leaving the starchy paste at the bottom. Add the potatoes and onion, along with the eggs, scallions, matzo meal, butter, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Mix well.
2. In a large skillet, heat a 1/8-inch layer of oil until shimmering. Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of the latke batter into the skillet about 2 inches apart and flatten slightly with a spatula. Fry the latkes over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the latkes to paper towels to drain, then place them on a platter.
3. Repeat to make the remaining latkes, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
4. Serve with applesauce, sour cream, smoked salmon, and salmon roe.
Cook up something delicious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Windward Place Apartments in Alpharetta, Georgia, and put our expansive kitchens to good use!