Shakshuka, in its simplest form, is a warmly spiced vegetarian dish of saucy tomatoes, which is often made with peppers, onions, and eggs cracked right into the mix. The eggs usually left whole, are simmered to the desired doneness – whether you prefer lightly poached or hard-cooked so the yolks are firm. Once you’re done tinkering with the basic formula, simply add pita, for sopping up the sauce. Convinced to give the unconventional breakfast a shot? Check out the ingredients and directions below!
• 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 1/4 small bunch cilantro, chopped
• 2 small cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• Pinch red pepper flakes
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
• 4 large eggs
• Warm pita bread, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the cilantro stems, garlic, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is softened and the vegetables are coated with the spices, about 1 minute.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Stir the tomatoes with their juices into the skillet. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down and the sauce thickens slightly about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Use the back of a spoon to make 4 wells in the sauce, 1 to 2 inches apart. Crack an egg into each well. Run the edge of a rubber spatula through the egg whites to break them slightly, being careful not to break the yolks. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the egg whites are just set 15 to 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and top with cilantro leaves. Serve with pita bread.
Cook up something delicious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Windward Place Apartments in Alpharetta, Georgia, and put our expansive kitchens to good use!